Thursday, September 20, 2007

What was I THINKING???

I was obviously thinking that I could get my stubborn 3-year old to cooperate enough to have her picture taken by a professional. I just want a family portrait so much! But I guess I'm still missing all my brain cells (when will those things grow back?) because having a professional take pictures of Alex is NOT going to happen! MAN! That was the most frustrating experience! And I'm not picky... I don't even require smiles. Maybe hugging... but that shouldn't be hard because they hug non-stop all day.

So imagine me spending the morning timing everything just perfectly so that the girls will be ready, in goods moods from having naps, well-fed, me pumping so that Rory would have an emergency bottle if she needs it... I mean, the preparation I went to is hilarious... I could go on for paragraphs. There we are at the studio and Rory is all grins but Alex refuses to even approach the set. I bribe, humor, play ball, tickle, appeal to her "motherly" side by saying Rory needs her, bribe some more... shamelessly, and finally, threaten 'till I'm red in the face and feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. By the look on her face, she was quite amused by me.. I don't think that helped my blood pressure. But every time I tried to usher her to the set, she'd let out a blood-curdling scream and cling to me like I was trying to lower her into a pit of venomous snakes. Holy drama queen, Batman! After becoming dangerously dehydrated from stress-sweating so profusely, I finally had to give up.

So here! This is as close as we're ever going to get to a family portrait. Isn't it a lovely set? Do you like the detail I went to with the microwave chicken pot pie boxes and scattered crumbs? Now I can frame and hang this picture and every time I look at it, be reminded of what angelic, amiable children I have!
Okay, I have to admit, they're pretty funny kids... spunky and stubborn, no doubt. But hopefully that will help them in this world. In the mean time, I just have to hang in there because I have children who are even MORE stubborn than I am!.. and we'll all live happily ever after as long as I never again try to get professional portraits done. Finite.

6 comments:

Megan B said...

I'm dying; that was absolutely hilarious!!! You've officially scared me off even attempting a professional portrait :)

De Leo Family said...

I am laughing with tears down my face. That is so funny. I don't blame you for trying that hard. Holy Drama Queen Batman! You are hilarious.

It's funny timing reading this blog, I was just going to call you and ask if we could take Pirate pictures at JCPenny when you come down during Halloween. Guess not! Unless of course peer pressure from her amiable grinning cousins might help?? =)

mindy said...

I totally feel your pain. I'd be laughing if I didn't know exactly how frustrating that is. I suggest hiring someone like Heather Walker to take family portraits outside somewhere. Sometimes it makes the kids less apprehensive.

lrbodine said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has photography experiences like that!! Luckily I'm very blessed to have my local friend Rachael who does photography as a little hobby but specializes in portraits. I am able to hang out at her house and wait for opportune times for Ellie to take pictures. Granted - that still didn't help my child smile at all that day . . . I don't know what it is about getting kids to smile when you want them!

David A. Miller said...

Wow!! You are so brave Nikki! I've given up on family portraits as well. And for me, it's my husband who refuses to go to the studio! Stubborn David. I finally dressed the kids up last week though and got some shots in the backyard. Out of 80 I think maybe 2 are good. ;) --Candice

Mandie said...

Your not the only one I promise. I worked in a portrait studio for 3 years and it happens all the time. I Hope you get some taken. We are searching for a photographer right now actually. We went to the beach this weekend and tried to take some. It was pretty impossible. Good Luck!

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse