So far my favorite talks are Elder Henry B. Eyring's and Julie Beck's. Just the messages I've been needing so badly. From Elder Eyring, I've resolved to start journal-keeping again, even if it's just a few lines a day, with the emphasis being to remember a blessing I've received that day or seen someone in my family receive. As Elder Eyring said, this will increase your testimony and allow Heavenly Father to show you the blessings He is constantly giving you. Though Elder Eyring was encouraging any method, not just journal keeping, that will help you see your blessings, journal-keeping is the method I know works best for me.
I've always kept some form of record: blogspot, scrapbook, etc. But I need to always write in my journal, too. You want to know why I stopped writing in my journal? I got behind and the thought of having to catch up just seemed too overwhelming. So I'm going to leave several pages blank in my journal, and start TODAY, fresh. This way, I'll be able to go back and fill in the important things at leisure 'till I'm caught up, but I won't get any further behind.
Julie Beck gave the most wonderful talk on mothers. One point that kinda shook me:
"Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable, but all the education women obtain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth. Growth happens best in a house of order."
BOY, do I ever need to work on THAT one!!! I tell ya, I struggle like you wouldn't believe with keeping my house in order. I'm always trying, but never quite succeeding. It's not for laziness that my house is messy... it must be that I lack the skill. After hearing this talk, I'm going to try to enlist other people's help and advice for ways in which I can maintain an orderly house. I've already received a couple pointers that I'm going to put into practice: 1) never leave a dirty dish out. Immediately put it in the dishwasher, and 2) only one toy item out at a time; put the other toy away before bringing out the next. This wise counselor told me that because she maintains these rules so well, she actually spends very little time cleaning. In other words, she still has a lot of time to spend with her child. If any of you out there have great tips on keeping an orderly house, please comment! I need all the help I can get!
The other meaning of keeping a house of order pertains to spiritual orderliness. So making and keeping a time for FHE, family prayer, family dinner, etc.
More favorite quotes from Julie Beck's talk:
" Mothers who know build children into leaders and are the primary examples of what leaders look like. They do not abandon their plan by succumbing to social pressure and worldly models of parenting. These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most."
"Mothers who know are always teachers. Since they are not babysitters, they are NEVER off duty."
"Mothers who know do less. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all."
"THAT is influence. THAT is power."
Deca Durabolin
4 years ago
6 comments:
Nikki, those have been my two favorite talks as well. I commented most on those in my journal. One thing I also got from Elder Eyring's talk was the idea of giving your children copies of your journal. I always thought when I died they could make copies. Why not sooner? Since I started writing at age 8 I have written with my future children in mind. I guess it's no longer "future" since I have Spencer, but you know what I mean. The others are still "future" children.
I loved Elder Eyring's talk! I got the same thing out of it -- I'm totally keeping a separate journal just for what he talked about. I'm so bummed I missed Sister Beck's talk, it sounds like it was amazing!
So here's another thing I love. Cleaning wipes are my best friend. I keep them under every sink. Every morning after I am finished getting ready I wipe down my bathroom sink and counter. It isn't a full cleaning, but it looks clean and makes everything seem better. This takes me less than a minute and keeps down the cleaning time at the end of the week.
I love cleaning wipes, too... but I still need to get to that point where my countertops are uncluttered enough that I can do that all the time. I can't get rid of the clutter!
Those were two of my favorite talks as well! Although I need to listen to Sis. Beck's again since I was busy being a mom through most of it!! :)
I definitely need to keep a better record. In college - Shanna had me trained to write in my journal every night but sadly I have broken that habit!
I love cleaning wipes too! It makes it so easy and less intimidating to clean when I have those wipes. I also have to remind myself to pick up throughout the day or I suddenly have a huge mess. When I have to pick up a bunch of toys, clean dishes and do the basics, I am less likely to ever get deep cleaning done. Procrastination is the killer. Also, it's sure a lot more fun to clean with some happy music playing. And I try to avoid cleaning when John is home because I feel like I'm a slave if I'm the only one cleaning, even when he's doing other work, rather than looking forward to him coming home and finding an extra clean house.
Post a Comment