So I scanned the picture in sideways and you have to tilt your head to the right to see it, but this is Alex' very first ATTEMPT at drawing people, period. Actually, drawing ANYTHING really. She's been writing letters for a long time, and she'll color, but has shown what seemed to be a complete lack of interest in drawing (I knew better and I'll explain why). She is such an interesting child. With certain things, she likes to observe, think, watch, ponder, much more thinking, and so on, and then out of the blue, when you're least expecting it, she decides to try something new. And not until she's ready and it's her decision (no amount of prodding, pushing, pressuring, enticing, bribing, manipulating, or even lack of all just mentioned) will she venture forth. Today in her primary class, her teachers taught a lesson on gratitude for family and each got the opportunity to draw a picture of their family. I was so excited to see Alex' picture... and surprised. Alex was very proud and showed me that the one on the left with the long face is me, Daddy seemed a little consternated that the big, round face was his (he kept asking her, "Why do I have such a big head?" until I nudged him and he immediately corrected himself, "It's a BEAUTIFUL picture!") Alex looks like a triangle (her favorite shape) and Rory is the smallest.
She's also this way with singing. She LOVES to sing, but won't sing in church at all... or in front of family outside immediate. Though in public places, where it seems no one is paying her any attention, where no one else knows her, and where she's not EXPECTED (or told- however she sees it) to sing, she demonstrates NO shyness in the slightest. On Saturday, she and I had a special mommy/daughter date at the mall. We looked at my store, then her store, then got ourselves a treat. She sang at the top of her voice almost the ENTIRE time. She didn't care where we were, and hardly noticed people's smiles as they passed us by. Her favorite song to sing was "I Am a Child of God!" and I put an exclamation point there because that's how she sang it! The times when she insists I sing with her are a little embarrassing, but we end up having a good time. Sometimes she'll settle for the ABC intermittent duet song (we take turns singing one letter at a time while keeping the rhythm).
Deca Durabolin
4 years ago
6 comments:
That is so sweet! I love hearing about Alex because she reminds me so much of my little Ellie and her unique personality.
That is so cute. Isn't it amazing when they start to draw and it actually looks like something... Curren loves to draw happy faces.
That is adorable! Maybe she will start doing more people drawings now that she got "published" on the blog!
Alex was so excited when she was drawing that picture. It is so fun to see our kids learn things and try new things. She is fun to have in primary!
I love it! It's always so interesting to figure out what makes them tick and what makes them try new things. What a sweet picture!
She is such a character. I look forward with interest to seeing how this translates into later years!
Post a Comment