Monday, November 2, 2009

Meet Rockwell

We finally did it: we found the perfect Newfoundland dog breeder. Now normally I would post about our visit to California first, but I can't get my photos off my iphone and I wanted to post those pictures of the cousins so I'm doing this first and out of order.

During our trip to see my family and visit Disneyland, through a website Mandy turned me onto, I found this breeder in Northern California. As many of you know, we have been searching for and researching more Newfie breeders than I thought could be possible for over a year now. You can't imagine our excitement at finding one that's just right! They only breed two of their dogs (the other couple dogs are retired and much-loved family members). They've had all the hip and joint testing done (and it's excellent), and they allow their dogs free access inside their house, and keep the puppies inside the house, too (which I feel is very important for their personality development).

For those of you who don't know very much about the Newfoundland dog, Lord Byron (the famous English poet) wrote a poem about this breed... I'll quote a small portion of it here:

Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

These dogs truly emanate a sense of wisdom and supreme cool. I don't know of any other way to explain it... you just have to meet one in person.

So here he is at five weeks old and just over five pounds, our Rockwell. We feel the name Rockwell is a suitable one for a Newfie because Porter Rockwell was a huge, massive, body guard and Norman Rockwell was a gentlemanly artist of some of my favorite art.
I just got an update that he now weighs 8 pounds! Big boy! The breeders are so nice and I have really enjoyed getting to know them as well. We get to bring our puppy home in just under three weeks! Just in time for a super fun Thanksgiving.

Here's Rockwell's papa, Charlie Brown. He weighs 210 pounds and as you can see, takes up most of the bed of this pick-up truck. Newfies LOVE the snow... and water for that matter. They are natural water-rescue dogs and also enjoy drafting.

This is a picture of both Rockwell's parents (sire and dam). His mama is a beautiful landseer.

11 comments:

Camille said...

Wow! Congratulations on getting one awesome puppy! He is going to be so massive. Are you going to pick him up yourselves then?

Allie said...

Awesome!! I love those dogs I've always wanted one their the sweetest dogs ever! We want a dog so bad but have to wait till we have an actual backyard. hope everything is going well! and we'll have to stop by and see it sometime!

Nikki said...

The breeders live almost 700 miles away from us and they're SO sweet that they're meeting us about halfway in Nevada. We'll drive 400 miles to get to the meeting place. I've never wanted to have a puppy shipped (it seems so cruel and scary). I'm just glad the breeders will meet us halfway so we can drive.

Shannan said...

You tricker! I saw this title and thought you had a baby! ....maybe next year??!:)
But he is a cool looking dog! The girls are adorable.

chelsea mckell said...

I've never even heard of this type of dog, and now I WANT ONE really bad!

lrbodine said...

I'm impressed with how much research you have done before picking your puppy! My neighbors had one of these dogs that just passed away last month. It was gigantic but the sweetest dog ever. We loved having it next door because we think it scared people away (even though he was so sweet!).

Nikki said...

Lachelle, yes these are the gentle giants. My brother and his family have a Newfie. He just told me that during trick-or-treating just last week, two large and aggressive labs came charging Hugo (their Newf) and wanted to kill him. Hugo simply and calmly stood his ground and stayed as cool as ever. The dogs stopped just short of him, not knowing what to do. I imagine they must have felt very foolish and nerdy up next to him. ;)

K+C=M+K said...

Oh how sweet is Rockwell! I love him! Gosh, I am such a sucker for cute little pups- I would have a million if I could! Congrats on your new addition to the family!

Rando said...

Congrats on the dog.... You have done your research, I am glad you found just the right pup.

BTW... I love the new page layout, its great.

oodlesofoversons said...

SO cute!! Congrats on the new addition! Love the name

Megan B ♥ said...

He really is cute.

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse