I wanted to wait 'till I uploaded our pictures to post, but we're missing a cable and so pictures might take a while. So I thought I'd better post and let everyone know we arrived safely and so far, having a great time, despite the heat and oppressive humidity. The first couple days we were welcomed with overcast weather and rain showers. But now the heat is starting to set in. We're staying in the missionary RV park, which is only about a mile away from the pageant. I've been riding the bike, with the girls in the bike trailer, every day to the pageant. I thought I would have lost weight by now but wouldn't you know it, I've gained three pounds instead.
This is our third year doing the Nauvoo Pageant (and fourth time here), and already this year is very different from the last two pageants. I'm not pregnant, I'm healthy (aside from being overweight), and we're not staying in some far-off condos conjured up from the macabre imaginations of the Phantom of the Opera. This year, I can actually see myself falling in love with Nauvoo. It means a lot having a place all of your own to stay in, and getting to have some freedom; we're meeting people left and right and Alex and Rory have a million little friends to choose from (though most of the time, we're off having a great time biking around Old Nauvoo... sometimes we stop in at the Scovil Bakery and the sweet Sister missionaries there tell Alex and Rory a little bit about Lucious the baker, and then give them one of their delicious soft gingerbread cookies).
In comparison to the condos, our RV is very small, but we're having an absolutely fantastic time living in it. We have our Patty'o'room all set up, complete with three-ring pool, reclining chairs, table, ice-maker, and outdoor a/c mister. I give the girls their baths inside our little shower stall, inside a round flexible plastic toy bucket. It's really funny, and they have to take separate baths now because it's so small, but they have fun in it.
Can you believe it but we brought Sebastian with us as well? The first day of driving out here, he was pretty worried, to say the least. And we didn't have his kitty litter inside with us because we didn't want it to stink up the RV. So instead, every time we stopped, I brought him outside on his leash and took out the little kitty litter we stored in one of the outside storage bins, and had him use it outside that way. He's a very smart cat and though he found the outside public environment intimidating, he caught on quickly. He didn't have one accident inside the RV. Can you believe what a cool cat he is? Now that we're settled, he couldn't be happier. He gets some outdoor time on his leash, sometimes we take him for a ride with us in the bike trailer with the girls, and he gets his pick of sleeping with Alex up on her bunk bed, or at the foot of my bed.
As soon as I can get a cable, I'll post some pictures.
12 comments:
Wow that is a serious trip! How long will you be gone? What will you do there? My brother in law and his family are there performing for a couple weeks. They are called the "red-head express" and they play bluegrass songs- if you run into them say hi for us. :)
I'm glad you made it safe and have a place of your own! When do you go back to Utah? I want to see pictures of your cat on a leash!
It sounds like you have planned everything out brilliantly to make things as fun and comfortable as possible. I miss those Scovil Bakery cookies...yum. They're just not as good when I make them. I can't wait to see all your great pictures. Scrapbooking them should be really fun.
That sounds awesome...can't wait to see some pictures and to continue getting a full report. have fun!
Glad that you made it there safely. Your car door was open just a crack in the garage, so I went ahead and closed it - I don't know how long it had been open - sorry. As for gaining three pounds - I am sure it is all muscle! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!
You must have the most fun adventures out there. It must also be a nice break from home...at least for the first few days! And a cat on a leash! You go crazy cat lady! (and I say that with all the love in the world as an inside joke from our childhood.)
wow, what a trip! I'd love to have the chance to have one like that! And happy anniversary, your pics were beautiful!
Hi Nikki! We are so happy to hear that you and your family are having such a fun adventure. Sabastian is an amazing animal. What fun. Can't wait to see some pictures of Nauvoo and you all. Do we get to see you pulling the girls and the cat on the bike? And I agree with another's comment: the cat on a leash is a must. You guys are wonderful.
Heather, I LOVE the Red-head Express! They do this every year, don't they? So if it's your brother-in-law, then is his wife your sister? I will SO say hi to them.
To answer your questions, Dave's work sends us out here every year for Dave to run the sound for the pageant. The vocals are all live (nothing pre-recorded).
Carrie, THANKYOU so much for closing our car door for us! I don't know why it was open. Anyway, I sure appreciate it.
And I'll get some pics of Sebastian on his leash :)
Sounds like a really fun trip! You're like roughing it without really having to rough it! And don't worry about gaining those 3 pounds, I am sure they are all muscle from your biking and walking adventures! Have a great time out there and stay cool!
You brought Sebastian! That's awesome! What an adventure for him. Wish we could've house-sat again for ya this year, that was fun! Good luck out there on your bike rides. Oh, and I love those tub pics! I never cease to be amazed at your creativity.
Think of the MUSCLE you're gaining :) Sounds like you are having a great time, at least you were, LOL, when you wrote this. I'm so glad that Sebastian is traveling so well, what a trooper. Looking forward to updates! Yay for the McDougals!
Post a Comment