Warning: this post is not for the faint-of-heart or currently-bubbling-with-happiness readers. For the more macabre senses of humor, however, this may be right up your alley. Be ye warned.
My Mother's Day
-Being on a plane with two sick children and stuck in airports FOR OVER TEN HOURS
-My two-year old tantrums almost the entire time (because she's sick). One of her tantrums happens mid-escalator, throwing her stuffed animal and somehow one of her shoes at the same time and flinging herself bodily upon the cracks of the escalator. I have to wrench her up by one arm, looking like an abusive mother, so she doesn't get sucked into the cracks (just in time, I might add).
-People shaking there heads and clucking their tongues at me.
-Having the choice of either plopping myself down in the middle of the airport right then and there and having a Mother's Day tantrum of my own... or laughing. I take the safer route (and laugh) but that comes dangerously close to sobbing so I have to stop that too.
-Wouldn't you know it one of Dave's old bosses (and still business affiliate) and other co-workers just happen to be in the airport at the same time we are and witness my mothering in all its glory. They look at me with scared, dodgy eyes and at my husband sympathetically.
-inbetween airport madness on the red-eye flights, the girls don't sleep and cough the whole time (I still feel the burns in my flesh from all the venemous stares of the other passengers). Ever notice how strangers are quite generous with fathers, whether it be regarding patience or offering a helping hand, yet with mothers they pass cruel judgement and say everything just short of, "Do the world a favor and tie your tubes already!" Lewd? Yes. But I'm sure most of you will agree with me that it's nothing less than the accurate truth..
-It's past midnight. Mother's Day is over, thank goodness, but not the work. The girls are still coughing and their fevers are up. But things are looking up because they're at least taking turns now with waking up and screaming.
For me this year, Mother's Day seemed to embody the worst of what motherhood has to offer: with unappreciated, screamed-at, devil-eyed, do-it-better, and with a smile, not a moment of peace (or blessed silence), monotony, torture and abuse. So I say: seems appropriate. Now if I could just learn to smile at the same time, the combination would be sure to intimidate any would-be tongue-cluckers... Even so, I am grateful for the blessing of getting to be a mother to my darling children. No matter how bad things get, they'll never outweigh the joy and blessings that motherhood has to offer. And in truth, most days with my girls are wonderful and I am so grateful for them. It just happens that all the bad happens to pile up right on Mother's Day. I should just learn to expect it and be grateful that all the other days are much, MUCH better, if not supremely grand. I'll mush in later posts. But for today, thanks for letting me rant. I do hope you found some humor, and were not dis-heartened, in what I had to say.
10 comments:
What a HARD Mother's Day you had! Doesn't it seem like we are tried and tested on Mother's Day? Like we are being asked, "Well, do you love it even when it's hard and miserable?"
At least it is behind you. And don't worry about those tongue cluckers. If they haven't had a day like that as a parent, then they just can't understand. Plus, you know how adorable and sweet your little girls usually are.
Hopefully they are feeling better soon!
Sometimes it's better not to look at other woman's blogs, especially during holidays that aren't going so well for you. I have a problem with that. I'm sorry it was so tough for you. Sounds miserable. If it makes you feel better, people were asking me after Sacrament Meeting what drugs I have Spencer on and also asking if he had a sugar intolerance or something. Church was not easy. At least he didn't get kicked out of nursery this Sunday.
I really enjoyed your post Nikki! I know it sounds crazy but I'm so grateful that you put this up because THIS is being a mother! ANd its wonderful to know that I'm not the only one in the world who goes through this ^_^ WE are strong women who love our husbands and children and here we are doing the best that we can do for them. Though it feels like they(the kids) don't know how much work and stress and sweat it is, they really are appreciative of us, and they're little "i love you mommy"'s tell us they can't be without us..... Only a strong rightoues woman can be a wonderful mother. For any idoit that says motherhood is easy.. probably isn't doing it right! haha jk and Nikki I look up to you very much . You are a wonderful mother...and a strong and wonderful woman! Love you so much! Sara Miller... HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
You know what?? I toatlly feel for you! I had a Mother's day like that a few years ago when Darrin was playing pro golf and he wasn't even in town that day. It was one thing after another and it was HORRIFIC!! Hopefully next year will be better!
I love you Nikki! I was so sick of all the mushy posts!!!!! My day was not nearly as bad as yours, but I definitely wasn't having a great mothering (or wifeing) day so it's good to know I'm in good company with one of the most awesome mothers I know:)
A toast to Nikki!
Thanks for keepin'it real!
Clink clink clink:)
All the mushy Mothers Day posts on other blogs that is...just to clarify:)
Truly? Clucking tongues and EVERYTHING? Ewwwy, I totally cringed about Dave remembering to call his mother :) Sounds like an icky day to be sure, and I didn't mean to chuckle during any of it... icky icky! I hope you don't have the piggy flu :)
Nikki, thanks for being real! It happens to all of us and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who occassionally feels "how much more?"
Were you an English major? Or do you just naturally have a fabulous vocabulary and knack for storytelling?! I would apologize for being entertained at the story of your misery... but I have the feeling that you don't mind your readers getting a laugh :)
And I thought I had a bad Mothers Day! I'm glad to finally read a post that is real because not every holiday can be great!
Post a Comment