Thursday, May 21, 2009

More Kauai Pictures

The view from the hammock :)

This sand play area was right by "my hammock".
Here's Alex trying to decide if the hammock is safe enough before she gets on with me.
Rory didn't need any convincing; she loved the hammock as much as I did.  These pictures were taken just before she fell asleep on me and we took a nap together.

Back at Hanalei Bay, Rory explored the water holding onto Dave's hand.


Alex was so happy, she didn't know what to do with herself.  For a while, she strutted back and
forth along the water's edge, enjoying the feel of sand between her toes.


Rory found this little log and became very attached to it.  She carried it with her everywhere and pretended she was taking care of it.  Rory makes the most expressive faces I've ever seen while talking.  These pictures grasp some of her expressions very well, though they're not nearly as cute as she is in real person.



Rory showed her enthusiasm for being at the beach by becoming quite kiss-happy.  All of us got quite a few kisses from her.  

Alex progressing from strutting to dancing.




And these are our souvenirs.  We brought home a Plumera tree plant
and a coconut palm tree

One more picture of the girls sleeping together.  You can see how Alex sleeps neatly in a pile (thought she's crooked on the bed), while Rory sprawls out and flings in her sleep.  Rory sleeps with open mouth and Alex sleeps with open eyes (both just like me... yeah, I'm a pretty sleeper)

Hanalei Bay... FYI: this was where South Pacific was filmed and a scene took place right on this very pier.

Dave and Alex are already far out there (you can see their heads just above water) and Grandpa and Rory are going out to meet them.

And Grandpa, I do believe, got the best picture with Rory.  Complete with sunshine streaming them into a subtle silhouette and Rory's cute little leg in the air.  I swear, I don't teach them this stuff... Rory's still a baby and an extremely affectionate one.  Alex was like this too, though more reserved now.


9 comments:

Camille said...

You got a Plumera tree?! Awesome. I wonder how it will do in Utah. Those are beautiful pictures. Looks like a fun trip.

lrbodine said...

Pretty much looks like heaven to me! How fun.

Lori said...

I love Rory's pictures. Too cute!

Megan B ♥ said...

#1, we need to have a LONG conversation on the couch about THIS TRIP!!

#2, You can't ever sleep over. I think you might scare me with your open eyes and mangled body posturing. Did it take Dave long to get used to sleeping with a corpse?

Rebecca said...

Beautiful photos Nikki! You got some real treasures! It looks like just what I need...a trip to the islands...so beautiful!!!

Oh yes...how is it possible to sleep with your eyes open???

De Leo Family said...

What gorgeous pictures! I hope Rory doesn't outgrow her baby loving stage for a long time. Those are such beautiful pictures. You have such a knack for getting a good shot. Then add your darling beauties and Hawaii as a backdrop... We need a gallery to do these picture justice! Thank you for sharing!

Nikki said...

Camille- if we keep our tropical plants indoors and give them lots of water and sun, they can survive in Utah. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to keep them alive.

Megan- Dave thought it was pretty freaky when he saw I sleep with my eyes open... sometimes my eyes will roam around and follow moving objects, other times, it's only the whites of my eyes that show. At least I'm not a violent sleeper like Rory is.

Rebecca- I don't know, but I've slept that way since I was a small child... freaked my brothers out too.

De Leo Family said...

It freaked us all out! I remember so many nights. "Nikki, I know you are awake. Nikki. Common, You aren't fooling us. We can tell you are awake because your eyes are open." Then David or Michael would say, "I know how to tell if she is asleep." And they would get real close and move a finger right in front of your open eye. You would never budge unless they got too close and poked your eyeball! Even then you would grumble in your sleep and continue staring at us. You are just so fun and entertaining, you can't even shut it all off to sleep!

John said...

The coconut tree is really sweet! Can you just grow them from straight coconuts?

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse