Saturday, December 29, 2007

Funny Little Phrases

I just have to share some of the things Alex is saying these days. She is forever amusing and entertaining Dave and I with her quirky and inventive phrases. I say 'inventive' because Dave and I don't know where she's heard them before... she says things we don't say. For instance, she's been saying "of course" a lot lately (though she pronounces it simply "'course").

Alex: "Can I watch Fairytopia?.. 'course, I already watched it. But can I?"
and "Mommy let's go play in the snow! 'Course, it's slippery... we'll be careful, okay?"
and sometimes she'll just say it out of the blue, as if she was thinking something in her head, and decided to finish the thought out-loud: "'course... I like cookies"


I went to the library the other day to borrow some books for which I received good recommendations, one of which is "The Racketty-Packetty House" (thanks, Megan!) and we've been reading about ten pages or so of it every night before bed. Alex and Rory both love it. I've been reading to them from birth, but this is the first book I've read to them that takes more than one evening of reading to finish. Rory just loves books so even though she's not really paying any attention to the storyline, she's happy with it. Alex, on the other hand, is really getting into the story. What a wonderful lesson this book teaches! First of all, it's about dollhouse dolls (who are alive, but only active when you're not looking) and even though they've been abused and neglected by their owner (some spoiled little girl) they find humor in everything and they stay in control of their own moods; they choose to stay good-humored and joyful even through unfortunate changes. SUCH a good lesson, of which there are quite a few to be found in this book. And their names are very fun to read, too ;)

Rory is on the go non-stop now that she can walk. She and Alex are having so much fun together... I'm having even more fun with them, too... it's just so fun to watch them and play with them and just be with them. I love being their mom.

No comments:

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse