The other night, after the girls were asleep in bed, I felt like watching a movie while I waited for Dave to come home. I've been excited about our pirate costumes for this coming Halloween so it put me in the mood for Pirates of the Caribbean. Dave came home and then we were off to bed, without another thought of the movie. Well the next morning, Alex woke up when Dave was heading out to work very early. He turned the DVD player on for her so she wouldn't wake Rory or me up, saw the Disney logo pop up on the screen (which seemed right to him- we haven't watched anything but Disney cartoons this whole trip... until that night), and was out the door.
I woke up to Alex standing by the side of my bed, twisting her hands nervously, rocking sideways and timidly saying, "Mommy? Harry wake up now? Peeese, Mommy? Harry wake up?" I looked at the clock and it was just a few minutes past 8am, so that was a good time to wake up Rory. So I said, "Okay, we can go wake up Harry", wondering why Alex was acting so strange. As we entered the living room, my heart stopped. There was Pirates of the Caribbean playing on the tv, well past the ghostly pirate scenes. I felt horrible! I ran over and turned the movie off and hugged Alex, who repeated, "We wake up Harry, peeeeeeese?" She wanted to be with Rory because she makes her feel better. It's funny that whenever there's a climactic scene in one of the Disney cartoons (like Aladdin trying to escape the lava or Tarzan fighting the leopard), Alex is quick to hug Rory and reassure her, "It's okay, Harry! It's okay!" So I took Alex into Rory and Alex hugged her awake. All was better then.
I had so wanted to protect Alex's dreams from scary nightmares. Now I fear I've ruined it all. With her incredible imagination, it won't matter if she never sees another scary movie for the rest of her life, she's seen enough to fuel the worst nightmares.
Man! I'm such a freaking EEEEEEEDIOT!!!!!
Deca Durabolin
4 years ago
2 comments:
I'm sorry! Let's just hope she forgets those scenes. I love that she wanted to comfort Rory though! (and that she calls her baby Harry)
I can imagine doing that. Although, I remember watching Alien and Terminator movies when I was really little. Funny to think that they would bother me more now than then. That's horrible.
Post a Comment