My surgery is tomorrow. I have to confess I'm pretty nervous. On the bright side, my mom and little sister drove up from California to help me and take care of the girls for the first week of my recovery. I'm so happy they're here; nothing ever seems as bad when my mom's around. I explained to Alex and Rory that I'll go to the hospital to get my throat fixed and it will take a long time for me to heal... but that Grandma and Aunt Nessa will come to play with them... as soon as I said that, their eyes bugged out of their heads and they jumped for joy. At least I don't have to worry about them being sad or scared. They are definitely in the best hands possible and I'm so grateful for that.
As for the surgery, my ENT will be using coblation to get my tonsils out. I watched a tonsillectomy video on the internet to see what exactly he'd be doing and I'm glad I know he can completely see what he's doing down in there and guesswork doesn't have a place in this surgery. I was pretty worried about that. As for the recovery time... it seems I here something different from every person I talk to. Some say it's a full three weeks for adults, my ENT says 10-14 days. As for pain, I asked my ENT how bad it would be and he said, "Well, for the first two weeks after surgery you'll be hating yourself for the decision you made, but then the next 30-50 years you'll be loving it". Seriously, I can't imagine it being more painful than my last case of tonsillitis and strep throat, but I suppose I'm really asking for it by saying that.
I wanted to do something extra fun with the girls before I become a half-dead glob of macabre gloominess so we finally went and got that bunk bed for dolls at the Quilted Bear that they've been drooling over forever. We painted it together and put some jewels on it, and I got the yarn to make the bed afghans. Maybe I'll be able to do them while I'm recovering.
I'll let you know how it goes ;)
9 comments:
Good luck, Nikki. I hope it isn't bad. Why can't they give you enough pain medication that you're not in agony? I'm glad Mom and Vanessa are there. I'd say, "here's hoping I don't go into labor in the next week," but I can't bring myself to wish anything but that Logan comes as soon as possible. :) Good luck!
Good luck! I'll be thinking of you. I have heard it is terrible surgery for an adult but it sounds like it would be worth it!
Yikes- I hope that it's not as bad as you've heard. I had mine out at 3, so I have no recollection, thank goodness!
Let me know if you need anything!
Good luck! I had no idea you were have this done. Hope you recover soon.
Ooooh, Niki! I had my tonsils out when I was four and still remember it. I remember being a little sore but loving the ice cream. As an adult, just having a bad sore throat a couple weeks ago, I was dying! I'm so sorry and I hope your recovery goes well! :)
Best wishes! Hope it goes well! You're a tough lady - I know you can handle it!
Good luck, Nikki! I hope you have a speedy recovery!
I've been thinking about you, wondering how you are recuperating. I'm SO GLAD you have had live-in help! I want to see how the bunk beds turned out. I'd call you to see how you are doing, but I don't want you to TALK!!! LOVE YOU and sending you happy throat prayers!
I hope it went well!!
Post a Comment