Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dave's Travels

I know it's been a while since I've consistently blogged, but those of you who read my blog pretty much know everything anyway. I'm mostly writing some of it down at this point to serve as a basic journal for the time-being and to entertain you with a few photos.

For this Church project, Dave has now traveled to Guatemala, South Korea, England and as of this morning, Brazil. He will be gone for about two weeks. We are ok and all feeling happy, though we miss him. After his second two-week trip, however, we weren't feeling so chipper. In fact, my little girls (and ahem, me) were really starting to feel down because we missed him so much. Both Alex and Rory are so perceptive, wise, and sensitive beyond their years that this separation affected them both pretty uniquely. Rory, for instance, channeled her intense emotions into a fury- 100% full-blast in my direction. Alex, on the other hand, was extra sweet to me and everyone around her, but she is more of an internalizer, and felt pain and insecurity in social settings (which is uncommon for her). After Dave's first trip and before his second, he got Alex and Rory both a beautiful little silver locket, with their names engraved on one side, and on the other, "Daddy loves you, Princess". The girls wore their lockets and looked at the pictures inside (one side a picture of her with Daddy and the other side a picture of Dave and I) all the time. I included the picture of Dave and I together because when Dave first left, the girls had a really hard time understanding why. At one point the girls finally voiced, "Why doesn't Daddy live with us anymore?" It was a very hard concept to help them understand that traveling for a job is so very different from not living with us anymore.

Before Dave's trip to England (his third trip), I had plans to take the girls in our little car to California to be with my family. The girls and I would still miss Dave, but at least we would be surrounded with loving, and extremely fun, family. You literally cannot be bored one second when you're with them. I knew that would help take my girls' minds off missing their Daddy so much... I needed the support, as well. But wouldn't you know it, right before Dave left, I sprained my right ankle pretty badly and couldn't drive.


But my sweet parents worked it out and my mom flew up here, stayed with us a couple days, then drove us back to California in our car. I was banking on being able to drive when the time came to go back home.

My mom is such an incredibly fun person. I look to her for guidance and seek counsel from her; she is one of the wisest, most intelligent and spiritual persons I've ever known.. can you imagine how delightful it is to find there also still exists a naughty, mischievous side from her childhood? My little pixies relish the kindred friendship they share with her.

These two photos below show my girls exploring makeup for the first time as we drive to California. Oh Rory got much more.... creative... than this as time went on.
Alex was pretty neat about the whole ordeal.


The girls took solace in their grandparents, numerous aunts and uncles and numerous cousins during our stay. Here they are at a church activity with some of their cousins. Lila (6) and Emma (8) were angels. So were David (10) and Caden (3). When Rory's mommy-directed fury was too intense to allow her to accept any (greatly needed) affection from me, her sister and cousins were there to fill in. This made me feel horrible as a mother, but also as a mother so incredibly grateful to my loving nieces for comforting my little fury.

This was shortly after Rory shunned me... but every part of my mother feelings screamed how desperate Rory was for comfort and affection... why wouldn't she take it from me? All I know is that she blamed me and was angry at me... maybe she didn't understand it either. Sometimes it just about broke me and all I wanted to do was throw a tantrum, stamp my feet and sob. But then this happened. Lila was there for Rory. It was like a dose of critical medicine. After this lengthy cuddle session with Lila, Rory's rage softened and she started seeking me for affection again. I think Lila cured something enough that Rory was able to come to me when she couldn't before. But I can't explain well enough how that was the turning point and everything was (and could be worked out and cuddled out or whatever it needed) after that.


Mandy is the most incredible teacher. Once a week, she takes her children to a homeschooling charter school. Mandy teaches the funnest history class! She uses Susan Bauer's

The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child: Volume 1: Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor, Revised Edition

Above: How often would you find a situation like this? These children are enamored with their history lesson! Mandy brought visual aids as well, and I must say I was enthralled as well. All the children are making a timeline and writing about what they are learning and so much more. Mandy also teaches a science class.


Are these three ladies kindred spirits or what?

Oh, excuse me SheDaisy: four ladies.


My dad gives voice lessons to the four DeLeo children. It was so exciting to be there during lessons! It brought back so many wonderful memories from my childhood. My girls caught the contagious excitement and wanted lessons too! Alex was a little shy at first, but loved it. And Rory... Rory was completely obsessed. When Grandpa played a chord at the piano, children from every corner of the house (and backyard) FLEW to his side. They began with scales (to Rory's wonder and delighted fascination), and from there commenced to practice a few choice songs. I always sing my girls a song of their choice at bedtime. I couldn't even give away a twinkle in my eye (or my little fury would chastise me for "yaffing at her") when Rory earnestly requested "Will you please sing me scales!" And she continued to request it every night for weeks. Now she's branching out a little bit, but Grandpa's scales will always hold a dear and tender place in her heart. He copied and made a book for me of his arranged scales so that we can practice at home. We love it!


Alex loved singing... unless she saw me recording (or even watching) her. Then she became self-conscious. At one point while the cousins were practicing a song intended for Emma's upcoming baptism (a song they had been practicing for quite a while), Alex turned to Grandpa in exasperation, "Grandpa. I don't KNOW this song!"


Lila helping Rory follow along



One of my girls' favorite past-times, especially if we're out shopping, is to take my iphone and take pictures. I don't ever know when they're doing it, but later when I'm looking thru my pictures I find a million photos like this...
and this
and this
Rory took all of these. There's also a picture of some stranger little girl Rory was quite obviously stocking... I decided for her sake not to include her picture here :)


Alex lost her front tooth during our stay. I'm grateful she let me give her lots of cuddles, affection, and comfort. I'm grateful too that Lila's cuddles helped heal Rory and then I was able to cuddle and comfort her too.

I know I was pretty moody with my family during this visit, but I'm so extremely grateful to them for taking care of us. We loved being with them and it made us all feel so much happier. After our ten-day visit, my ankle was 100% capable of driving (I had been practicing) and I drove my little pixies and self back home where we reunited with Dave and MAN ALIVE! were we happy to be with him again.

No comments:

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao-Tse