
At the risk of sounding cheesy and even melodramatic, I have to write about something that has just made me feel so happy. I should preface this with reminding you how much I love animals. For those of you who don't, just keep in mind while you read that we all feel passionately about certain things in our lives. So here we go. When I was a small child, my cats gave me such an enormous feeling of joy-- whether we were hiding together outside in the bushes, or my cat was vying for my attention by lying on the book I was trying to read, or my cat perched on my chest to purr whenever I was feeling sad-- I'd actually physically feel a tickle in my stomach that would rise up in my throat and turn into a laugh. I remember wondering if I'd always feel that way about animals, even after I'd grown up. I was sad to note during the years of growing up that the older I got, the less and less I experienced that joyous tickle. Perhaps it was a child's great need of the companionship that only a devoted pet can offer that gave me such a reaction, for I certainly never have tired of animals and I find that their presence in my life continues to bring with it blessings of every kind... however, that specific feeling has become extremely rare and one I started to attribute to a happy childhood... and in fact it has been so long since I've felt it I had almost forgotten completely about it... until tonight.
Of late, Sebastian has claimed Alex his bed partner and sleeps cuddled at her feet every single night. As we ready the girls for bedtime, Sebastian walks in with this expression of "Is it bedtime yet, Alex? Hurry up, we don't want to miss a single minute!" and he jumps onto her bed and looks at her expectantly. Alex giggles and when I hear it catch in her throat a wave of nostalgia brings back the most delightful feelings and memories. She can't wait to say prayers so she can hop in bed with Sebastian and be purred to sleep by his lullaby. He stays with her all night long, sometimes sleeping, sometimes purring, and she sleeps happily and soundly. I just went in to check on her and he's there, cuddled up to her legs, moving at times to accommodate her movements. I see how much this snobby beast loves my little girl and how he finds fulfillment in taking care of her and as I watched them just now I realized, as that old tickle rose up into a silent laugh, the origination of that joyous childhood feeling was the knowledge that another living creature loved me, his little human, with a single-minded devotedness and found complete joy and fulfillment therein... and that is what I felt (was sensitive to) as a child, and what my own precious child is starting to feel now and THAT gives me an even greater feeling of joy somehow than I felt as a child myself. This was a precious gift for me tonight. An absolute treasure.
Deca Durabolin
4 years ago
7 comments:
Not cheesy at all! I totally understand and see why you guys would love your precious "members" of your family. What I don't understand are people that don't realize how important pets can be! They are like kids! i love them!!
I didn't grow up with animals and didn't understand the connection until we got our dogs and then had Ellie. She ADORES the dogs. They can make her laugh more than anyone else! I love it.
That is so sweet. Being as much an animal lover as you are, your story brings tears to my eyes. Our Heavenly Father knows us and loves us. Thank you for sharing.
Sebastian is so beautiful. He is looking more "mature". I think the last life he lost is showing. Stay home sweet gorgeous cat!
That is so sweet! But you'll understand if I don't read this entry to Kinley, right? Right? ;)
I know how you feel. Recently while visiting my parents I was reading journal entries from elemtary school and almost every page was about what I was going to do with my dog that day. I thought it was funny that I thought about my dog so much. But now when I get Anistyn out of her crib in the morning do you know the first thing she asks? "Where's Mona"(our dog). I loved having pets growing up and really feel like it helps foster a child's capacity for love and also taught me so much about responsibility. 3 cheers for Sebastian, Mona, and all of our pets in yrs past!
I couldn't agree more! There is something about animals and children. I, personally, feel that having animals helps children to feel more reverence and respect for all animals later in life as well as affection for others. I love that Sebastian feels Alex is his kindred spirit!
Seriously, this should be published. So well-written.
Post a Comment